Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship
Criteria for applying for this scholarship are:
- Applicants should be pursuing an undergraduate degree. This degree is not necessarily a horse studies or horse related degree.
- Application for this scholarship is not limited to incoming freshmen.
- Recipients of the Norah Morris Scholarship are encouraged to participate in IHSA program or to continue to horse show independently in USEF/NCHJA shows to stay actively involved in the sport.
- The Norah Morris Scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding candidate who has demonstrated an ability to successfully balance academic goals with equestrian activities and community involvement.
- Applicants/recipients are invited to apply or reapply on an annual basis.
- Applicants should submit a letter of recommendation from their trainer, coach or other non family member who is familiar with their horse related activities.
2017 Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship
The NCHJA is pleased to award college scholarships to two deserving young people. The Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship was established in 2006, by the North Carolina Hunter Jumper Association, in memory of Norah Morris. The scholarship fund, managed by the North Carolina Community Foundation, was established to honor Norah and the Morris family's commitment to equestrian activities and to higher education. Remembering Norah Morris, we thank and congratulate all 14 of our 2017 Norah Morris Scholarship applicants. They are all deserving young people!! Congratulations to our 2017 Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship recipients, Olivia Williams and Tia Sparks. Both young ladies have maintained excellent academic records while being involved extensively in equestrian activities and the community.
Olivia Williams of Cary, NC is the recipient of the $1000 Norah Morris Scholarship. Olivia is a graduate of Green Hope HIgh School with a 4.63 GPA. Olivia has shown extensively as a NCHJA member and has served on the NCHJA Board as the Junior Board Member. Olivia is on her way to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with a major in Environmental Science. In Olivia's words, "For the past six years, my team mate has been an athletic, temperamental, 1000 pound male that does not speak English. Jet Stream and I have won numerous awards and championships together, but more importantly, I have learned life lessons from him and the sport that has shaped me as a person, and I believe will help me succeed in college and beyond".
Tia Sparks of Hickory, NC is the recipient of the $500 Norah Morris Scholarship. Tia is a graduate of the NC School of Science and Mathematics with a 5.138 GPA. The barn has been Tia's second home. She plans to continue to ride in college and major in Mathematics and Art History. In Tia's words, "I firmly believe that success depends not on talent, but on the dedication that comes from true passion. My high school career has taught me the hard work necessary to balance a demanding academic career with my involvement in horse showing and riding. In the end, I do both because I love them, and they've made me the person that I am today."
Congratulations to Olivia Williams and Tia Sparks!!
Norah Morris Scholarship Endowment